Spanish News

Deadly toxin found in preserved beets

The Spanish Agency for Consumer Affairs, Food Safety and Nutrition (Aecosan) have warned that the presence of jimsonweed in a batch of preserved beets is a health hazard.

 

According to the alert, chard sold by Ybarra in 660g glass jars should not be eaten with lot number 18023 now being withdrawn from circulation.

Manufactured in Navarre the chard in question has been distributed throughout Andalusia, Catalonia, Castilla y León, Madrid and the Valencian Community.

Jimsonweed or Devil’s Snare is a plant in the nightshade family that when ingested can cause blurred vision, mydriasis, photophobia, decreased secretions,  dysphagia sensation, nausea, vomiting, vasodilation, tachycardia, delirium, hallucinations, cardio-respiratory arrest and death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *